wysihtml5x is an extended and less strict approach on xing/wysihtml5 open source rich text editor based on HTML5 technology.
The code is completely library agnostic: No jQuery, Prototype or similar is required.
This project was initiated and is supported by the XING AG. Thanks!
- Auto linking of urls as-you-type
- Generates valid and semantic HTML5 markup (no
- Can use class-names instead of inline styles
- Unifies line-break handling across browsers (hitting enter will create
<br> instead of
- Auto-parses content inserted via copy & paste (from Word, Powerpoint, PDF, other web pages, …)
- Converts invalid or unknown html tags into valid/similar tags
- Source code view for users with HTML skills
- Uses sandboxed iframes in order to prevent identity theft through XSS
- Editor inherits styles and attributes (placeholder, autofocus, …) from original textarea (you only have to style one element)
- Speech-input for Chrome
Extended features not present in xing/wysihtml5:
- Can be used without iframe sandbox when initiated on div instead of textarea
- Blocking of image drag drop in editable is removed
- Table insertion management and cell merging commands
- Improved parser with options to: unwrap tag instead of remove, keep defined styles, complex object type definitions for allowing elements.
- Ability to add uneditable area inside editor text flow (useful when building modules like video tools, advanced image editor etc.)
- Improved formatblock handling
- Ability for user to remove formating with only collapsed caret. (without having to select exactly whole text)
- Improved speed
- Anchor creting and removing logic changed to more universal
- Default build is without internal toolbar functions and build with “-toolbar” suffix contains default toolbar functions
The rich text editing interface is supported in IE8+, FF 3.5+, Safari 4+, Safari on iOS 5+, Opera 11+ and Chrome.
Graceful Degradation: Users with other browsers will see the textarea and are still able to write plain HTML by themselves.
Companies using wysihtml5
- Basecamp - Leading web-based project management and collaboration tool
- XING - Business Social Network with more than 12 million members
- Qype - Largest user-generated local review site in Europe
- and many more …
Before starting wysihtml5 we spent a lot of time investigating the different browsers and their behaviors.
Check this repository: https://github.com/tiff/wysihtml5-tests
A compatibility table for rich text query commands can be found here: http://tifftiff.de/contenteditable/compliance_test.html
A pure native rich text editor with HTML validator and live source preview is here: http://tifftiff.de/contenteditable/editor.html
wysihtml5 can be built using Grunt. Installation instructions for Grunt can be found here. Once you have it installed, wysihtml5 can be built by simply running
This builds both minified and development versions, including one with toolbar support.
See the list of contributors here.